COVID-19, the "Coronavirus", and the news surrounding the virus and its impact on communities worldwide has been changing daily. Hillel Montreal and Federation CJA have been continuing to closely monitor the situation at several different levels. We have been keeping track of all decisions being made on local campuses, in our community and the global Hillel International community.
Our primary concern, as always, is how we can best support the needs of the students with whom we work.
In light of that, as we continue to closely monitor the spread of COVID-19 and the concerns associated with this situation, all in-person meetings & events are postponed until after Passover. We will maintain communication as the situation progresses and will continue to share updates.
We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding. Great events can be placed on hold, however protecting your health - and that of our entire community - cannot, and must be our priority at this time.
As universities cancel classes for the next two weeks and we are faced with a climate of uncertainty, it is important to remember:
- Conversations will not be cancelled
- Engagement will not be cancelled
- Relationships will not be cancelled
- Hope will not be cancelled
- And our community will not be cancelled.
Our community is not bound by physical space. In the coming days, the Hillel Montreal team will be working on innovative solutions so that we can still meet all your needs. Our staff will be in touch about rearranging meetings in a virtual space instead of a physical one and look forward to sharing all the ways we hope to connect with you. We would love your input! Please share any ideas you have to help build this virtual community for the coming weeks.
A few important points to note which are in effect through April 17th, unless otherwise advised:
- The Hillel House and all other Hillel spaces on campus (e.g Club rooms) will be closed to students
- Staff have the option to meet, in-person, with students who feel comfortable, at a location of their choosing.
- We will alter the way we do programming; from Jewish programming, to holiday celebrations to self-care exercises - we are taking our community online!
- The Student Impact Awards will still be taking place in some sort of capacity. We will be extending the nomination period. More details to come early next week.
We know that facing these challenges together will strengthen our community. Remember, we, the Hillel Montreal staff are still here to serve you. Whether it is with concerns, questions, ideas or simply to chat, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Here is how to reach us:
- Naomi Mazer, Director of Young Adult Engagement (17-24) GenMTL: [email protected]
- Kylie Huberman, Senior Engagement Associate: [email protected]
- Ben Ravid, JAFI Israel Fellow: [email protected]
- Cory Dankner, Engagement Associate- McGill: [email protected]
- Jonathan Levine, Engagement Associate- Concordia: [email protected]
- Gabriel Martz, Engagement Associate- Advocacy, U de M: [email protected]
- Guila Ezerzer, Engagement Associate -Cegep: [email protected]
- Lauren Goldman, Engagement Associate- MIT: [email protected]
- Michelle Segal, Engagement Associate - Operations: [email protected]
Wishing you all a Shabbat shalom and only health!
Enjoy some quiet time and remember to wash your hands!
The Hillel Montreal Team