Birthright Israel powered by Federation CJA’s GenMTL offers life-changing educational trips to Israel for young Jewish adults between the ages of 18 to 26 and 27 to 32 and, in doing so, transforming the Jewish future. Birthright’s mission is to give every Jewish young adult in Montreal the opportunity to visit Israel (certain conditions do apply). Participants return motivated to continue to explore their Jewish identity and solidarity with Israel, as well as maintain long-lasting connections with new friends they met on their trip.
For further information, please contact:
We regret to inform you that all Birthright Israel trips for the month of May and June have been cancelled. At this time, we remain optimistic that we may still be able to send some/all of our July and August trips on this journey of a lifetime. Click here for FAQs.
Please check back here in the coming weeks for further updates. Thank you for your understanding!
✈️ JULY 2020 – SIGN UP NOW!
- July 6 – 16: Original Experience (18-22) Departing from YUL SIGN UP
- July 6 – 17: Original Experience (18-22) Departing from YUL SIGN UP
- July 13 – 23: Original Experience (23-26) SIGN UP
- July 13 – 23: Original Experience (18-22) SIGN UP
- July 15 – 26: Original Experience (22-26) SIGN UP
- July 20 – 30: Original Experience (18-22) SIGN UP
- July 20 – 30: Young Adult Original Experience (27-32) SIGN UP
✈️ AUGUST 2020 – SIGN UP NOW!
- August 5 – 16: Original Experience (18-22) SIGN UP
- August 5 – 16: Original Experience (23-26) SIGN UP
- August 10 – 20: Original Experience (18-22) SIGN UP
- August 5 – 16: Young Adult Original Experience (27-32) SIGN UP
- August 17-27: Original Experience (22-26) SIGN UP
* While we welcome participants from anywhere in Canada, all of our Summer 2020 trips will depart from Toronto YYZ or Montreal YUL. Participants outside of Toronto/Montreal are eligible to receive a partial travel reimbursement from their hometown provided the criteria outlined in this document are met. The reimbursement is not based on the amount paid to travel to/from Toronto/Montreal but is a set amount based on the city/region of origin per the information in the linked document.
NEW AGE GROUP! YOUNG ADULTS AGES 27-32 NATIONAL
Canada Israel Experience is thrilled to welcome participants ages 27-32 on Birthright Israel! If you're looking for that sweet spot between independent travel and an organized group tour, then look no further!
Our young adults trip will have all the classic Birthright Israel elements you've been hearing about forever, with a tailor-made itinerary just for your age group. Believe us – this trip is the perfect blend of Israel's must-see's, unbeatable variety, and the flexibility to go off-script.
Spots for this trip will be very limited! Please select "Original Experience", followed by "Age 27 -32" in the trip marketplace.
CIE allows you to extend your return ticket for up to 90 days so you have the choice to stay in Israel, participate in Birthright Israel extension programs, or travel the world!*
ORIGINAL EXPERIENCE: AGES 18-22 | 23-26, NATIONAL AND LOCAL
Our classic original experience trip has a little something for everyone to fall in love with!
You'll learn about the country's modern and diverse culture while visiting classic sites such as the Old City and Western Wall in Jerusalem. Your days will be filled with adventures like Hiking Masada, riding camels in the desert, floating in the Dead Sea, soaking up the sun on the Tel Aviv beach, rafting down the Jordan River, and experiencing Israeli nightlife. Young Israeli peers will also join your group for a few days to share their perspectives on life in Israel. You get to be a part of a Canada Israel Experience adventure of a lifetime! Please note: dates are subject to change at anytime. You are able to register for one month and one trip option only.
EXTREME ADVENTURE: AGES 21-26 NATIONAL
Calling all outdoor lovers! Interested in discovering Israel by hiking it, climbing it and crawling through it? Don't mind getting your hands dirty? Then this is the trip for you!
The Extreme Outdoor Adventure program will take the core components of the CIE original program and add an extreme twist. On top of touring the mystical city of Tzfat, spending Shabbat in Jerusalem and meeting some incredible Israeli soldiers, you will hike through the river valleys of the Western Galilee, climb the volcanic rock of the Golan Heights, explore ancient tunnels in the Judean Hills and orienteer through the Negev desert after spending a night under the stars. This trip is all about getting off the bus, out of the city and discovering the land by feeling it under your feet. This is a very physically demanding trip. Applicants will be subject to further questioning upon application.
Offered in SUMMER ONLY. For a sample itinerary of the Extreme Adventure trip, CLICK HERE.
Birthright Israel offers the gift of a FREE, educational, 10 – day peer group trip to Israel for young Jewish adults between the ages of 18 and 32.
The trip allows participants to meet new friends and make connections to Israel, its people, and the Jewish community.
A bus group is formed with 40 participants from Canada, 8 Israeli peers, 2 staff members and a tour educator.
The content of the trip focuses on three main areas:
- To strengthen each participant’s Jewish identity
- To build an understanding, a friendship and a lasting bond with the land and people of Israel
- To reinforce the solidarity of the Jewish people worldwide
Mifgash, meaning "encounter" in Hebrew. As a key component of our program, young Israelis are invited to join our groups to gain the same understanding of Israel, Judaism, Jewish identity and the larger Jewish community. By engaging in creative, recreational and educational activities with Israeli peers, members of the group develop a personal peer-to-peer connection to Israel.
Safety & Security
The welfare of our participants is of utmost concern, and in an ongoing effort to secure the safety of each participant; all itineraries are planned in accordance with the security directives of the Israeli Ministry of Education, the Israeli Defense Forces, Israeli Police, and the Jewish Agency for Israel.
Taglit-Birthright Israel trips are conducted by multiple trip organizers. We are extremely proud of our partnership with Canada Israel Experience (CIE), our national organization under United Israel Appeal (UIA Federations Canada), with offices in Toronto and Jerusalem. As the leading Israel tour organizer in Canada, CIE is committed to ensuring that all of our programs provide GenMTL participants with a unique, unparalleled Israel experience.
For further information, please visit www.israelforfree.com
All participants must be between 18 and 32 years of age and no longer in high school by their trip start date.
Eligible individuals are those recognized as Jewish by their local Jewish community or by one of the recognized denominations of Judaism. Applicants must also have at least one Jewish birth parent, or have completed Jewish conversion through a recognized Jewish denomination.
Previous Israel Experience
If you have been to Israel before, but only with your family or on other personal business for under 3 months, you are still eligible, if:
- You participated on a peer educational trip to Israel under the age of 18.
- You participated on the March of the Living when you were in high school. You are still eligible to participate on one of our programs if you turn 18 years old at time of departure.
- You have served in the Israeli Army or volunteered on an Israel Army base under the age of 18.
- You traveled to Israel since turning 18 on a family trip, a multi-generational trip, or some interfaith/secular experiences are eligible.
- Please note: If you were born in Israel, have ever held Israeli citizenship or have held an Israeli passport you are not eligible, unless you can prove by official documentation that you left Israel before the age of 12. Documentation can be in the form of a Landed Immigrant Certificate or a report card from the school you attended in Canada at the time. If you have served in the Israeli Army or volunteered on an Israeli army base, you are not eligible.
You are not eligible to participate on one of our programs, if:
- You traveled to Israel after turning 18 on programs designed for college students or young. Programs include: University, study abroad, gap year, yeshiva/seminary, internship and any other experience under the umbrella of Onward Israel or Masa Israel.
For confirmation of whether previous participation on a specific Israel trip will affect your eligibility, please contact us at: (800) 567-4772 | (416) 398-6931
Every applicant MUST successfully complete a mandatory interview with a GenMTL Engagement Associate as part of the application process.
Important Passport Information
A valid passport is one that expires a minimum of six months after your return date (i.e. if you return on May 15, your passport must be valid until at least November 15). This is non-negotiable and is an enforced airline policy. Please do not forget that even if your passport is valid until the return date of the group, if you choose to extend your trip by even a few days past the 6-month rule, your passport will not be valid for travel.
If you do not currently have a valid passport, please contact your local passport office to begin your application process. Obtaining a valid passport could take up to six weeks. Give yourself enough time so that a copy of your valid passport can be submitted to GenMTL’s Birthright Israel office by the deadline indicated on your application.
Please ensure that your passport is in good condition. Stained or torn pages can result in any airline refusing to accept a passport for travel.
Attention: Israeli Citizens
If you were born in Israel, have ever held Israeli citizenship (includes having one parent born in Israel) or have held an Israeli passport, you must travel with a valid Israeli passport. If you were born in Israel, have ever held Israeli citizenship or have held an Israeli passport, you MUST be able to provide a copy of your Army exemption papers if you are accepted to the program. We suggest you contact your local consulate of Israel to begin this process immediately; you will not be able to participate on our program without these documents.
Please note that these documents may take 6-8 weeks to be processed. We encourage you to begin this process immediately once you have applied for a trip. In order to expedite the documentation process, GenMTL can provide participants assigned to a trip with an official letter stating that the participant is confirmed on a trip when requested.
Please contact the Israeli Consulate nearest you as soon as possible to speak with a consular staff, if you require more information.
Do you have a question? Please do not hesitate to contact us at (514) 734-1708.
Madrichim in Training (MIT)
CIE: Birthright Israel’s Madrichim in Training (MIT) Program is a comprehensive leadership development program that requires participation in supplemental training over the course of 8 months. Madrichim are expected to be active members of their local Jewish community. Different communities have different expectations as to what this involves. Madrichim are also expected to assist the marketing and registration teams in promoting and recruiting participants for Birthright Israel trips.
Once you have led a trip, you are expected to help your participants connect with their local communities. This can be done through a variety of ways and will be facilitated through your local post-programming team or Israel Experience professional.
Please visit: https://www.israelforfree.com/faq/
Extend your trip & Airline Information