- Segal Centre for Performing Arts - Lyrics & Latkes: Live + Live-streamed!
- Federation CJA - RSJ Yolka Chanukah
- Federation CJA - RSJ Yolka Chanukah
- CSUQ - HANOUKKA EN FÊTE
May 28, 2021
Federation CJA is fighting for Israel and against antisemitism
It has been a difficult few weeks for our Jewish community, both in Israel and here in Montreal. Many of us are hurting. For over 11 days, Israel was targeted by 4,000 terror rockets, the most intensive barrage in its history. Now, a wave of anti-Jewish hate is spreading across our community.
When Israel was under fire, Federation CJA mobilized, dispatching funds directly to Israel and offering our unwavering support, advocating to share the truth about this conflict with our fellow Canadians. Through our advocacy agent, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA), we have been in constant communication with government officials, media, and leaders throughout Canadian society about the rapidly evolving situation in Israel.
Simultaneously, we have directly taken on the accompanying rise in antisemitism, and will continue to press for action against hate and make our voice heard. While we recognize the right to free speech and assembly (which permits ongoing Palestinian protests), we will not accept the spread of hate and attacks hurled at the Jewish people. We are taking every action we can against social media being used as a weapon in the spread of hate messaging and lies. Online hate is violence and we must put an end to it.
Our Jewish community is resilient. We will not be intimidated. We will not remain silent in the face of this rise of Jew-hatred. We cannot allow antisemitism to deepen its roots in Canada. Take concrete action at fightit.ca
Here's a review of some of the actions we have taken to address the rise in antisemitism:
Galvanized and connected our community through Federation CJA's Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts, including news updates; reports; virtual solidarity gatherings; tips on how community members can do more to help; and calls for action. We've also launched campaigns on all our social media channels to help combat and report antisemitism online.
Follow @federationCJA on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and share our posts!
Called out against antisemitism on major media outlets across the province and country. Here are a few examples
- Sophie Durocher on QUB radio
- Dominic Maurais on Radio X
- Mathieu Bock-Côté on QUB radio and in the Journal de Montréal
- Former Parti Québécois Cabinet minister Jacques Brassard in the Journal de Montréal and on TVA's website
- CIJA quoted prominently in stories in the Globe and Mail, and syndicated nationally in the Canadian Press, and in the Montreal Gazette
- Federation CJA quoted in the Montreal Gazette
- Vice-President, External Affairs & General Counsel, Richard Marceau on QUB radio
- The Consul General of Israel was interviewed on Radio X and on QUB radio
Garnered support from a growing number of politicians, elected officials, influencers, journalists, and fellow Quebecers and Canadians of good conscience who have responded to our call and stood up to denounce and condemn the recent surge of antisemitism.
- Federation CJA has worked with the SPVM and authorities to ensure measures were taken to ensure the safety of our community.
- CIJA has worked to raise awareness, secure support, and fight against this rising tide of antisemitism.
- The National Assembly voted unanimously to adopt a joint motion condemning the antisemitic incidents targeting our community.
Received letters and public messages of support from several partner organizations including:
- Regroupement des jeunes chambres de commerce du Québec (RJCCQ)
- The Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal
- Young Chinese Professionals Association (YCPA)
- Youth Stars Foundation
- Office of Public Affairs, Bahá'í Community of Canada
- The Assembly of First Nations
- The Canadian Race Relations Foundation
- CCLAQ - Chambre de commerce latino-américaine du Québec
- Quebec's LGBTQ Chamber of Commerce
- Canadian Italian Business and Professional Association
- Anglican Diocese of Quebec
More high-visibility public messaging on Israel and antisemitism is in the works, and we are calling on the Government of Canada to convene an emergency summit on antisemitism that involves political leadership at the federal, provincial, and municipal levels—for the safety of the Jewish community and for the benefit of all Canadians.
Wishing everyone a peaceful and restful Shabbat. Shabbat Shalom.